Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cabbage/Chicken Soup...

I made this cabbage/chicken soup tonight and I really liked it. Out of 10 eating it about 5 didn't really like it. Maybe someone else will though. I tripled the batch for our family and because there weren't anyone rushing for seconds there is plenty left for lunch for us and for hubby's lunch tomorrow.

12 c. water
9 c. chicken broth (I cook a chicken in water for about 3 hours and used this water.)
6 c. fresh tomatoes (I used one can of ready to use chopped, all I had and I didn't make sure it was 6 c. More like 28 oz.)
4-5 celery stalks chopped
several stalks chopped green onion ( I added one chopped onion since I also didn't have this)
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp thyme
3/4 tsp caraway seed
2 TBSP or more sea salt (I don't cook my chicken with salt so it really needed a bit)

Combine, bring to boil, simmer 30-min to and hour

Add the following, remove bay leaves and serve (I brought to boil again but I think you just serve with cabbage hot in the soup and not cooked through)

9 c. chopped cabbage
3 c. cooked chicken
3 TBSP lemon juice
2 tsp sugar (oops forgot this but I would have used honey)

I liked it and had three bowls and I don't really take to soup too well. Too many caraway seeds but it did add a good flavor but if I make this again I won't add them. My hubby liked. One child said it wasn't the best soup in the world but it was OK. We discussed the best soup in the world; chili? knepfla soup? pepper jack cheese soup? chicken noodle? Pepper jack cheese was the winner in our family!

Tomorrow: Apple slaw (I hope to get to this, forgive me if I forget and get busy with something else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment