Monday, June 8, 2009

Guacamole

Condiments are out on this diet so I am looking for new ways to make my hamburger tasty. I have discovered cutting thick slices of onion and grilling them. My husband especially likes these and thinks they taste like onion rings. I recently checked out some cookbooks from the library. I noticed that most cookbooks out there (not the standard church ones) use whole, natural ingredients to season the foods. Rarely do they ask for a can of anything. I found this wonderful guacamole that makes a hamburger to die for again. (I love mayo, BBQ sauce, a slice of tomato and onion on my hamburger).

2 Ripe avocados-chopped
3 TBSP finely chopped onion
1 Jalapeno chili-minced (I didn't have this)
1 TBSP cilantro
1 TBSP fresh lime juice (I only had lemons)
1 clove garlic-pressed

Mash until avocado is chunky, not smooth
Stir in one large, diced tomato
Salt to taste
Refrigerate
Makes 2 1/2 cups

We continue enjoying life on this diet. Coming up with new lunch ideas and the cost are challenges but the health benefits are wonderful. We continue seeing good results in the children and ourselves. It may be partly due to the sun and fresh air we get now that winter is over but the faces of my children are all so clear and healthy looking. For once I didn't break out all over my chin when I had "Martha" (my high-school nickname for that time of the month). I always break out and squeeze them and now have zit scars on my chin. I got the barest hint of them this time. I know it takes time to see these kind of results but I am looking forward to what else is in store. I have read of others having their gums of their mouth actually grow back and become healthy again. That is what I hope to accomplish with this. I have about 5 teeth that are showing nerves and bother me some.

No comments:

Post a Comment