Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 10 and 11

Day 11
Lemon juice in water
Carrot, apple, cabbage and asparagus juice (freshly juiced)
Breakfast: fried eggs and yogurt with honey.
Lunch: Steak soup made from beef broth, onion, garlic, salt, green beans, carrots and peas. It was tasty and I am not too thrilled with eating soup anymore. Only had one complaint from the youngest and that was the carrots. We added lettuce, cucumber and avocado salad. We are officially all the way on Stage 5!

Supper will be a stew made from the same broth but adding broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and cabbage.
Snack tonight will be raw apple. (Stage 6)

We are nearing the end of the intro diet.
Day 10 of the intro diet

Breakfast: hard boiled egg and yogurt with honey
Lunch: Another stir fry (I love them) I made three of them. I don't cook Isaac's food in teflon coated pans so his had to be in stainless steel. I have this great wok fry pan but it is coated. I'll have to look for one that isn't but for now I will use this one. I started with chicken. (This was a bit challenging to find)
Let me stray a little bit here: The ideal food for the GAPS Diet is organic and pasture-fed animals. This is a huge challenge for a family with 10 people so while I buy organic as much as I can, I do compromise on this. I was looking for chicken breasts in the store yesterday so we could come home and cut it right up and cook it. I only have frozen whole chickens and didn't plan on making chicken stir fry so decided to buy some. Well, Wal-mart only sells chicken with a 12 percent solution added. This solution contains chicken broth. Any company can add broth to their food and not label what is in the broth. This is a huge problem for me. I now buy different tuna because the cheap, regular tuna has broth in it. It probably has MSG. Huge problem for our one son and huge problem because I just don't want to eat MSG. I went to the grocery store in town and again ran into the same problem but they did have chicken breasts that said no preservatives, no additives, all-natural. You can check this out for truth by looking at the sodium content. The chicken I bought had 45 mg of sodium and the chicken with solution added had 200 mg of sodium. I find this wrong because at first glance the chicken says "All natural" and it just isn't true. Who wants this stuff in their chicken anyway. If mass numbers of people called these companies would they stop???? I just don't know.

OK, I stir fried the chicken in a bit of ghee and then added minced garlic and onions (lots of them to one of the pans). One pan ended up being chicken, onion, mushroom, zucchini, carrots and green beans. The one for our son in the stainless steel pan had everything plus asparagus but all cooked in cold-pressed coconut oil. The other one had chicken, carrots and green beans with a smidgen of onion and zucchini. It was a huge hit and we had a bowl leftover for Dad's lunch and everyone got 2nds and some got thirds. We used a lot of veggies for it and about 4 pounds of chicken breasts.

For "supper" we had steamed apples and peas and yogurt. One child put the apples on high thinking someone else would come watch it. The other child didn't realize I said to cook this and they ended up scorched. They all ate this with honey anyway and I guess all turned out well. I was trying to plant strawberries before dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment